Magnetising Scourge Cruisers

It’s been really slow around here. I’ve been sick, in a bit of a painting procrastination phase and just generally being way to quiet. However, things have finally started moving again. I’ve got a couple of painted miniatures to varnish and photograph, but before that I’m going to do a quick post on some assembly…

E-7A Wedgetail – Radar Dome, Antennas & Winglets

Today I finished the scratch building of the Wedgetail. The details that separate this from a normal 737 are the numerous antenna, bulges, radar domes and winglets that protrude from the fuselage. There are literally dozens of these, but at this scale they would be barely noticeable, continually break off and turn it into a…

E-7A Wedgetail – Body work

A sick day meant no traveling out to game tonight, but that did let me get a bit of progress on the Wedgetail. First up I removed all the bits I didn’t want on there: wingtips, landing gear and print. After a half hour playing with the Dremel and some needle files I ended up…

E-7A Wedgetail – The start

The first post detailing the conversion of a 1:600 scale die-cast 737-700 model into an E-7A Wedgetail airplane. This post details introduces the project and describes what needs to be trimmed from the model.

E-8 Build – Decals & Finishing Up

Before applying the decals I did a pin wash into the joins on the wings and tail. I used AK-Interactive’s Grey Wash for Kriegsmarine Ships (AK 303) for this step. While not the intended subject for this range, I find this wash is good for light grey models and so perfect for the E-8C. Because…

E-8 Build – Base Colours

A bit more progress on the E-8 tonight: I’ve put on all the base colours. I used a grey primer as that’s what looked best when I did some test sprays on a piece of cardboard.  Then came a layer of Deck Tan (VMC 70986).  I use an airbrush for this type of painting and…

E-8 Build – Body work update

The model’s been sitting on my desk for a couple of days and I just noticed a casting defect.  The front engine mount is not like the others. I’ve highlighted one of the original pictures below. Not a difficult fix, a couple of minutes with some small side cutting pliers removes the offending metal and…