Numidian Light Infantry

Another quick post of some new miniatures. These are a handful of Numidian Light Infantry for my Carthaginian Art de la Guere army. Because of the small scale I don’t make any real attempt to blend or do much in the way of transitions. These are much quicker to paint: plenty of washes, drybrushing and fairly simple painting in these.

  • Skin: Burnt Umber (VMC 70.941)
  • Hair: Black (VMC 70.950) & German Camouflage Black Brown (VC 70.822) — 1:2
  • Wash (Hair/Skin): Dark Brown for Green Vehicles (AK 045) — cleaned off for highlighting
  • Tunic: Ivory (VMC 70.918)
  • Shield: Brown Sand (VMC 70.876)
  • Straps & Belts: Saddle Brown (VMC 70.940)
  • Spear Shaft: Beige Brown (VMC 70.875)
  • Spear Head: London Grey (VMC 70.836)
  • Spear Head (Highlight): Sky Grey (VMC 70.989)
  • Wash (Tunic, Spear, Shield): OIF & OEF US Modern Vehicle Wash (AK 121) — Dilute 1:1
  • Shield Icons: Cavalry Brown (VMC 70.982)

The iconography on the shields was a challenge. A bit of googling didn’t turn anything Numidian up, but I did eventually happen upon an alphabet that seems to have ancient historical roots in the area. I’m not sure, it was all a bit hard to figure out, but I wanted something to liven up the shields, so I went with it. The alphabet is called Tifinagh, and there are plenty images of it around the place. I picked out a few of the symbols that I liked the look of, and didn’t look too much like Roman or Greek symbols. It’s not very scientific, but I’m happy with the look.

The bases are all 3mm MDF with magnetic bottoms (to help with storage and transport). They are covered with White Stone paste mixed with Dark Mud pigment. I let this dry and then I covered the entire base in a 2:1 mix of Burnt and Green Grass fine foliage applied with watered down PVA. Once that had dried I picked some spots off to then superglue some tufts and larger foliage clumps for variety. I used to apply the tufts and then the foliage, but I found the foliage always stuck to the tufts so they disappeared, so I’ve reversed the process. I’ve put the product numbers I’m using below.

  • White Stone Paste: Vallejo 26.211
  • Dark Mud Pigment: MIG productions (P033 – MIG productions is now defunct)
  • Burnt Grass fine turf: Woodland Scenics T44
  • Green Grass fine turf: Woodland Scenics T45
  • Olive Green Underbrush (FC134)
  • Dark Green Underbrush (FC136)
  • Dark Green Underbrush (FC137)
  • Forest Green Underbrush (FC138)
  • Light Green Bushes (FC145)

Since taking these pictures I’ve painted around the rim with an almost black; this cleans up their look and significantly improves how they look on the table.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.