I’ve made some progress with my Australian Helos: a couple of MRH Taipans (NH-90 transport helos) and ARH Tigers (Eurocopter Tigers). The ADF use a 3 colour camouflage scheme and painting it has been a welcome change from the modern US schemes which are just one or two colours. The only painful part is the colour patterns are consistent between helicopters. I’ve tried to reproduce this, but obviously at 3mm it’s almost impossible to be precise.
First the Tigers – I did 7 of these (I broke the tail off one, and I don’t think I’d ever run all of them).
- Tan base: USA Tan Earth (VMC 70.874)
- Black camouflage: Black Grey (VMC 70.862)
- Green camouflage: Cruiser Tank Green (VMC 70.700)
- Tyres & machinery: Black Grey (VMC 70.862)
- Outer missile pods: Cruiser Tank Green (VMC 70.700)
- Under-wing equipment: London Grey (VMC 70.836)
- Wheel strut: Medium Sea Grey (VMC 70.870)
- Wash: NATO Camouflage Wash (A.MIG-1008)
- Windows: Dark Sea Blue (VMC 70.898)
- Window highlighting: Pale Blue (VMC 70.906)
I’m pretty happy with these – they look good on the table too. I’m not sure they’re that effective in Hind Commander, but it might just be I need to practice with them and be less aggressive.
While I was taking pictures I also went closeup on an Apache.